February 14, 2012: Parents of Florida Hazing Victim File Suit
The parents of Robert Champion, 26, the Florida A&M marching band student who was killed during a suspected hazing that occurred on a bus parked outside an Orlando hotel where Champion and his band-mates were staying, have filed a wrongful death suit against the owner and driver of the charter bus claiming the company’s managers told drivers to ignore hazing. According the lawsuit, the bus driver “stood guard” outside the bus during the hazing and forced the 26-year-old drum major back on the bus after he had exited to vomit. The owner of Fabulous Coach Lines, the company that owns the bus, said he needed time to prepare a statement but had previously stated last year that the bus driver was helping students unload their instruments when Mr. Champion collapsed, reported the New York Times.
Champion’s death is being investigated as a homicide after he suffered blunt force trauma and died from shock caused by severe bleeding, according to the authorities. It is unclear why Champion, who had been a vocal opponent of hazing and held a leadership position as a drum major in the marching band, was on the bus at all. According to the suit filed, a fellow pledge said that band members on the bus treated Mr. Champion more brutally then others.
The lawsuit names defendants Ray Land, the owner of Fabulous Coach Lines, and Wendy Mellette, the driver of the bus on which the incident occurred. The New York Times reported that Personal Injury Lawyer for the Champion family made the following statement regarding the case: “Am I suggesting that this bus driver hit him? No,” “Am I suggesting that she knowingly aided and abetted? She opened a bus, it was running, the air condition is on. If that’s not participation, then I don’t know.”
If you or someone you know has been killed due to the negligence of a company or one of its employees, you should immediately seek advice from a personal injury attorney that is experienced in handling wrongful death cases. For a free consultation with such an attorney, complete the form to the left or call 212-566-1000. Based in New York City, Sullivan & Brill, LLP represents clients throughout the United States, as well as in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Westchester County and other upstate New York counties.
New York City Personal Injury Lawyer
Sullivan & Brill, LLP files personal injury and wrongful death claims on behalf of clients throughout New York City (Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County. The firm’s personal injury lawyers will meet with potential clients free of charge. Sullivan & Brill, LLP does all personal injury work on a contingency basis, charging no attorneys’ fees until the client wins a positive verdict or settlement.
The firm’s personal injury practice includes the following:
- Auto Accidents: The firm’s auto accident attorneys help victims of car crashes, truck collisions, motorcycle wrecks, boating accidents, and other types of accidents.
- Premises Liability: Sullivan & Brill, LLP has extensive experience representing people injured due to a landowner’s negligence, whether the injuries result from a slip and fall accident, an assault or lead paint poisoning.
- Construction Accidents: The attorneys at Sullivan & Brill, LLP have extensive knowledge of the issues facing construction workers injured because of an owner, general contractor or employer’s failure to follow safety regulations.
- Medical Malpractice: The firm can take on any doctor, hospital, or health care company for committing surgical errors, misdiagnosis, failure to diagnose, birth injury, and other mistakes.
- Dangerous Products : If you have been injured by a defective or dangerous product, a Sullivan & Brill personal injury lawyer can hold the company responsible for all injuries caused by the product and get you the compensation you are entitled to.
- Liquor Law Violations: So-called “dram shop” laws hold proprietors responsible for accidents resulting from selling liquor in violation of these laws. For example, if a drunk driver was in an accident that injured others, the victims may be entitled to compensation from the sellers of the alcohol.
- Police Brutality and Civil Rights: When a person is arrested or searched by police, he or she has rights that must be respected. If your rights have been violated by the police during the course of a search, arrest or incarceration, a personal injury lawyer can help you enforce your rights and obtain justice for you.
Experienced Trial Attorneys
The New York personal injury lawyers at Sullivan & Brill, LLP are experienced trial attorneys. They will not pressure you to settle your case quickly so they can move on to the next one. The have a reputation of holding out until the defendant makes a fair settlement offer. Sullivan & Brill, LLP prepares every case for trial. So if the defendant does not make a fair offer, Sullivan & Brill, LLP will not hesitate to take the case to trial. This strategy has proven successful.
Contact the Firm
Sullivan & Brill, LLP offers free consultations to potential clients. Just complete the form to the left or call (212) 566-1000 to speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
For the majority of personal injury cases, the attorneys of Sullivan & Brill, LLP help clients throughout New York City (NYC - Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, as well as the other NY counties. For mass tort or other large-scale cases, the firm’s product liability lawyers assist clients throughout the United States.
The firm also has an office in Bayamon, Puerto Rico staffed by an experienced personal injury attorney.
Personal Injury News
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
#73 Santa Cruz St., Suite 407
Santa Cruz Medical Building
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
- $750,000 Settlement for Medical Malpractice Victim
- $500,000 Settlement for Victim of Sexual Assault
- $375,000 Settlement for Delayed Diagnosis of Ankle Fracture
- $350,000 Settlement for Failure to Diagnosis of Skin Cancer
- Jury Awards $320,000 to Women with Fractured Ankle
- $250,000 Settlement Obtained for Victim of False Arrest
- $200,000 Settlement Obtain for Family of Man that Committed Suicide
- $180,000 Settlement for Man with Herniated Disc
- $175,000 Settlement Obtained for Child that Sustained Hernia
- $135,000 Settlement for Injury from Fall in Store
- $130,000 Settlement for Women that Tripped on Sidewalk and Fractured Wrist
- Slip on Ice Causing Knee Injury Results in $95,000 Settlement
- $90,000 Settlement for Women with Herniated Disc
- $88,000 Settlement Obtained for Man Who Injured Wrist in Car Accident
- $80,000 Settlement for Women with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome