Stryker Hip Implant Recall Lawyers
On July 6, 2012, Stryker Orthopaedics issued a recall of its Rejuvenate and ABG II modular hip implants. This hip implant recall followed a recall of the defective product in Canada in the spring of 2012. According to the recall notice posted on the FDA’s website, the hip implants have been recalled because of a fretting and corrosion at the modular neck junction. This deterioration leads to the deposit of metal ions into the soft tissue surrounding the hip joint, which results in metallosis, necrosis and osteolysis, any of which may result in the need for a revision surgery, where the hip implant is removed and replaced with another implant.
This recall is the latest in a string of negative information that has been amassing about metal-on-metal hip implants. In August of 2010, DePuy Orthopaedicsrecalled two if it’s metal-on-metal hip implants and several other metal-on-metal hip implants have been discontinued. Recently, the FDA convened a panel of experts to evaluate metal-on-metal hip implants. Although the panel did not recommend an outright recall of all metal-on-metal hip implants, it did find little reason to use the implants and cautioned doctors against their use. Although the Rejuvenate and ABG II models do not have the same design defect as many of the metal-on-metal hip implants, which are susceptible to excessive wear on the articulated surfaces of the femoral head and acetabular cup, the developing data indicates that there is a design defect in modular neck junction of these devices.
Stryker began selling the Rejuvenate and ABG II models in the United States in 2009. Post-market surveillance of the device disclosed excessive adverse event reports suggestive of a trend toward an unusually high failure rate. Patients have complained of pain, swelling and discomfort in the hip area. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should contact your orthopedic surgeon and have your hip implant evaluated. You should also contact a lawyer knowledgeable about the Stryker Rejuvenate hip implant recall and the developing litigation.
Contact the Firm
The defective medical device lawyers at Sullivan & Brill, LLP represent individuals that have been harmed by Styker Hip Implants. If you or a loved one has been the victim of Styker's irresponsible manufacture, marketing and distribution of this medical device, call 212-566-1000 or fill out the form to the left for a free consultation with one of the hip implant lawyers at Sullivan & Brill, LLP.
For mass tort and other large-scale cases, the firm’s product liability lawyers assist clients throughout the United States. For other products liability cases, the attorneys of Sullivan & Brill, LLP help clients throughout New York City (NYC - Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, as well as the other NY counties.
The firm also has an office in Bayamon, Puerto Rico staffed by an experienced products liability attorney.
Stryker Rejuvenate Litigation News
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
#73 Santa Cruz St., Suite 407
Santa Cruz Medical Building
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
- $750,000 Settlement for Medical Malpractice Victim
- $500,000 Settlement for Victim of Sexual Assault
- $375,000 Settlement for Delayed Diagnosis of Ankle Fracture
- $350,000 Settlement for Failure to Diagnosis of Skin Cancer
- Jury Awards $320,000 to Women with Fractured Ankle
- $250,000 Settlement Obtained for Victim of False Arrest
- $200,000 Settlement Obtain for Family of Man that Committed Suicide
- $180,000 Settlement for Man with Herniated Disc
- $175,000 Settlement Obtained for Child that Sustained Hernia
- $135,000 Settlement for Injury from Fall in Store
- $130,000 Settlement for Women that Tripped on Sidewalk and Fractured Wrist
- Slip on Ice Causing Knee Injury Results in $95,000 Settlement
- $90,000 Settlement for Women with Herniated Disc
- $88,000 Settlement Obtained for Man Who Injured Wrist in Car Accident
- $80,000 Settlement for Women with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome